World of Celtic Fingerstyle Guitar Volume 1 – 2
Aug 27 2014
World of Celtic Fingerstyle Guitar: Ramble to Cashel Vol. 1 and The Blarney Pilgrim Vol. 2. This collection of traditional music from Ireland and Scotland arranged for solo guitar is the result of a passionate study of the tradition by some of the finest musicians playing in this genre. The idea of arranging this music for solo guitar is still relatively new. Looking back less than a century, you would find this music performed on fiddle, pipes, button accordion, flutes and whistles, in solo and ensemble settings, but never guitar, even in its basic role of providing rhythm.
The challenge for those who attempt to translate Celtic traditional music for fingerstyle guitar is to preserve the unique qualities which are the essence of the style.
This has been achieved by taking a minimalist approach in arranging, and by using alternate tunings. The minimalist direction is characterized by the thought that most of this music consists of but two elements: melody and rhythm. Harmonization, in the classical sense, tends to sound out of place. With this standard musical device unavailable, successful approaches are found in fiddle-and-pipe-like embellishment of melody, and rhythmic bass patterns.
The popularity of alternate tunings in this music tends to come from two different directions. One is in the desire for production of tonalities of droning instruments, a la the bagpipes, and tunings such as DADGAD and EADEAE make this effect relatively easy. On the other hand, there are guitar tunings which lend themselves easily to the melodic steps and fullness found in the diatonic Celtic harp, such as DGDGBD (open G tuning) and the CGDGAD. Featuring: Pierre Bensusan, El McMeen, Martin Simpson, Pat Kirtley, Duck Baker, Tom Long & Steve Baughman.
Volume 1 – Ramble to Cashel
- Martin Simpson – Medley: Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms & Waters of Tyne, Shepherd’s Delight, Lowlands of Holland
- Steve Baughman – Bony Crossing The Alps, Ramble To Cashel, Cullen Bay
- Pierre Bensusan – Murtuch McKann, Flammogan Air, Medley: Merrily Kissed The Quaker & Cunla
- Duck Baker – The Duke of Fife’s Welcome to Deeside, The Golden Keyboard, The Fairie Queen, Planxty Kelly
- Tom Long – Hardiman The Fiddle, The Butterfly, Banish Misfortune
- Pat Kirtley – Morgan Magan, Fanny Power, Chase The Weasel, Finn MacCool’s Reel
- El McMeen – Danny Boy, Star Of The County Down
Volume 2 – The Blarney Pilgrim
- Pat Kirtley – Planxty Irwin, Rodney’s Glory
- Martin Simpson – Medley: Rosie Anderson, The Shearing’s Not For You & Bogies Bonny Belle
- Steve Baughman – Bill Malley’s Barndance, Fanny Power
- Duck Baker – The Blarney Pilgrim, The Rakes Of Waterloo, Medley: Sergeant Early’s Dream & Chief O’Neil’s Favorite, Medley: Miss Forbes Farewell & Poll Halfpenny
- Pierre Bensusan – Medley: The Pure Drop & The Flax In Bloom, Sheebag & Sheemor, Heman Dubh
- Tom Long – Jenny Picking Cockles, Broken Pledge
- Pat Kirtley – Moran’s Return, South Wind
- El McMeen – Medley: Jock O’Hazeldean & The Castle Of Dromore, Carolan’s Farewell To Music
Running time: 61 min + 58 min
Video: MPEG Video, 1490 kbps, 352 x 240 (1.304) at 29.970 fps
Audio: MPEG Audio, 224 kbps, 2 ch, 44,1 KHz
Booklet: Yes (PDF)
Size: 1.7 Gb