Guitar Techniques July 2011 (#193)
Sep 09 2014
Take the UK’s foremost guitar teachers and players, and transfer their finesse and passion for music into a magazine! The magazine has established itself with guitarists who wish to better themselves as musicians in both the UK, Europe and as far afield as the USA and Hong Kong! When it comes to choosing music, GT’s Abba to Zappa policy means that there’s always something for everyone! We take pride in providing the most accurate transcriptions around, and cover a full range of styles. Every month we feature full transcriptions of guitar songs and instrumentals in every genre, from blues and rock, to acoustic and jazz. All the music in the magazine is included on a cover-mounted audio CD, complete with backing tracks and video master class to let readers play along.
Guitar Techniques July 2011 (#193) contents:
- Play great rhythm with Stuart Ryan – Trio playing is a guitarist’s ultimate creative situation, but what when you’re not soloing? Stu has the answers – for trios and more!
- Thin Lizzy – Jailbreak. Learn this slice of bad-boy rock in the company of Steve Allsworth. Tonight there’s gonna be a jailbreak – somewhere in this town!
- Gerry Rafferty – Baker Street. Surely one of the greatest pop-rock tracks ever recorded. Phil Capone guides you through rhythm, guitar solo and even the sax riff.
- Ottokar Novacek – Perpetuum Mobile. Paul Bielatowicz transcribes one of his toughest pieces yet. So flex those fingers, warm up the muscles and prepare to shred!
- Giacomo Puccini – Nessun Dorma. Our much praised First Lady of Guitar, Bridget Mermikides arranges and transcribes another glorious solo piece for you to play.
- Lessons introduction – Jason Sidwell welcomes you.
- 30-Minute Lickbag – BIMM’s Scott McGill has six more great licks: from early learner to holy mackerel!
- Blues – John Wheatcroft gets to the crux of the blues issue by homing in on the notes you need to know to play convincingly.
- Rock – Martin Cooper heads back to the days when real rockers weren’t afraid… to yodel. Ladies and gentlemen… Jan Akkerman and Focus!
- Creative Rock – Shaun Baxter continues his latest series by looking at chord inversions.
- Slap Guitar – Tech Music School’s Alessandro Puddu gets serious with slap guitar techniques.
- Jazz – Pete Callard shows us how solo jazz performance is only a matter of learning the components and bolting them together!
- Acoustic – Stuart Ryan meets a man that was a legend of lonesome country – the great Hank Williams.
- Rockschool – James Uings with more Grade 6 ideas. This time: targetting great notes.
- Video Masterclass. Steve Lukather Pt. 2. Luke concludes his mini video tutorial series with more on playing ‘outside’ the box.
- Guitar Techniques 194 is full of great stuff. How about a brilliant slide guitar masterclass? Or Yesterday by The Beatles? Or Toto’s rocktastic Hold The Line? Or Beethoven’s Fur Elise? Roll on August!
Previous issue: Guitar techniques June 2011
Next issue: Guitar techniques August 2011
Includes original mp3 tracks and video
Text Format PDF, 78 pages