Guitar Techniques January 2012 (#199)
Nov 23 2014
Take the UK’s foremost guitar teachers and players, and transfer their finesse and passion for music into a magazine! The magazine has established itself with guitarists who wish to better themselves as musicians in both the UK, Europe and as far afield as the USA and Hong Kong! When it comes to choosing music, GT’s Abba to Zappa policy means that there’s always something for everyone! We take pride in providing the most accurate transcriptions around, and cover a full range of styles. Every month we feature full transcriptions of guitar songs and instrumentals in every genre, from blues and rock, to acoustic and jazz. All the music in the magazine is included on a cover-mounted audio CD, complete with backing tracks and video master class to let readers play along. Guitar Techniques January 2012 (#199) contents:
- 10 Modes You Really Need To Know. Knowing the right modes will expand your vocabulary, range and knowledge. Let John Wheatcroft guide you through our Top 10.
- R.E.M. – Everybody Hurts. To offer tribute to this great alt rock band from Athens, Georgia who recently called it a day, here’s their best loved track for you to play.
- Delibes – Flower Duet. You may know it better as British Airways’ TV ad music. Bridget tabs another beauty!
- In Musical Memory. Bert Jansch – Special Tribute Trstan Seume pays homage to a true legend of the quitar, a man who awoke the spirit of folk and acoustic music in generations of players. Bert Jansch: sadly missed acoustic legend whose music thankfully lives on.
- Lessons introduction. Colonel Sidwell introduces you to this month’s brimming, techniques section!
- 30-Minute Lickbag. Six more great licks in easy, intermediate and advanced levels from Scott McGill – from The White Stripes to Allan Holdsworth!
- Blues – John Wheatcroft delves into the scales of choice of the awesome Robben Ford.
- Rock – Martin Cooper examines the classic rock style of Aerosmith’s guitar hero Joe Perry.
- Creative rock – Shaun Baxter puts his pedal to the metal as he transcribes the second part of his solo.
- Harmonics – Tech Music School’s Alessandro Puddu concludes his excellent specialist series with a lesson on pinched harmonics.
- Jazz. Pete Callard continues his exploration of solo guitar – this month his topic is endings.
- Acoustic – Stuart Ryan presents the second in his series on the evocative (and tricky) bluegrass style.
- Rockschool – James Uings shows how to play pentatonic licks in less familiar positions on the neck, creating new and interesting sounds.
- Video Masterclass. Philip Sayce Pt.1 – This quite amazing Canadian blues guitarist shows wiy he’s ha led as a modem whirlwind.
Previous issue: Guitar Techniques December 2011
Next issue: Guitar Techniques February 2012
Includes original mp3 tracks and video
Text Format PDF, 100 pages