Desi Serna – Fretboard Theory
Apr 04 2015
Fretboard Theory by Desi Serna teaches music theory for guitar including scales, chords, progressions, modes, and details to hundreds of popular songs. Hands-on approach to guitar theory gives you total command of the fretboard and music’s most critical elements by visualizing shapes, patterns and how they connect.
Most of what Serna teaches you probably have seen before; but what is unique about this material is the application. Throughout the course Serna provides examples from the book and videos of how to apply what you have learned from actual songs you have heard on the radio etc. Although he makes no attempt to teach the entire song, he gives you the understanding to figure it out yourself; so if you want to be told where to put your fingers to play a particular song this is not your book/course. If you want to learn and be able to figure things out, this course should be very helpful.
Anyone who wants to get a solid hold on the basics of playing guitar without learning music theory will benefit greatly from this book. It covers the pentatonic patterns, CAGED chord patterns, arpeggio patterns, interval patterns, major scale patterns, and a few other things, and relates them to each other very well. The visuals are used very effectively to teach the relations. You don’t need to sight read to learn from this book and you will not learn how to sight read from it. The emphasis is on patterns and shapes and relating them to songs as well as to each other. This is a very effective and simple way to learn the fretboard and it is done very well in this book. The author is very descriptive of how to apply what he is teaching to playing songs, and the song references are great if you are able to play by ear (because the music is not written in the book, and it would cost a fortune to buy all of the sheet music).
This book is marketed very well here on Amazon because, as you can see, no reviewer has anything bad to say about it. Overall – This is a keeper and a great resource for learning to use the fretboard in an effective and simple way.
- What scales to learn and how including pentatonic and major scale patterns
- Guitar CAGED chord system including inversions and arpeggio patterns
- Guitar chord progressions and playing by numbers (Nashville Number System)
- Roots, keys and applying scales
- Understanding music modes and modal scales such as Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Locrian
- Playing and using intervals including thirds, fifths and sixths
- Adding extensions such as “add 9,” “suspended 4,” and “major 7”
- Details to how hundreds of popular songs were played
- Not only does Fretboard Theory teach guitar music theory in a refreshing new manner, but it takes things a step farther by associating everything to your favorite songs. This is the ONLY GUITAR THEORY RESOURCE that includes important details to hundreds of popular songs. Pop, rock, acoustic, blues, metal and more!
- This new generation of guitar instruction is perfect whether you want to jam, compose or just understand the music you play better. For acoustic and electric guitar players.
Format: PDF, 161 pagesDownload Desi Serna – Fretboard Theory free and other lessons from our site